Saturday, December 30, 2006

So last week...on Thursday

So, why is it that my students dont understand the concept that test = silence? I wouldn't think it would be hard to equate that into their minds since they should of been doing that since 1st grade but apparently it is hard for most of them to do so. I am not talking about cheating I am talking about just chattering like a bunch of little girls who do this for their primary recreational means.

Beyond that, also, how hard is it to study? I am really being serious. I give them a week, an entire week, to study. What happens? The more sorriest excuses come up to my attention. There is no excuse. They waited to the last moment, see this nice question filled test, and then start to complain. OMGosh. I love my students but you gotta study to be able to pass.

So my 7th grade was semi-ok. I yelled at them when they began to talk. Told them off by telling them that I do not deserve to be treated with poor respect and that I wasn't going to be tolerating their misbehaviors against me and the other kids in the class. I think I got my point across because a lot of them were sincerely sad that I was upset with them. Go me, they really love me! After the test we did creative writing since there was not that much time left with the entire period.

The 6th grade, except for a couple of them, all seemed to have studied. Did the test quickly and efficently too. We got to do grammar in class with their workbook before also moving on to the creative writing.

The 8th grade....I really feel for some of these boys. The good kids in the class did the test, no complaints, I knew they had studied. Bad kids were complaining the entire time that they didnt know they had a test, that they couldn't study, bleh bleh bleh. Come on, an entire week they are told there is a test. There isn't any excuses.

So, onto more of this blog :).

So, how do I make the test?

Well, I give them notes, ala questions pertaining to the work we are covering in class. Since I have so short amount of time with them I need to really focus on the major points of the chapter, leaving the hw to really see how they understand the text at home.

The test is made from only the questions on the notes. I'll reword them, sometimes change it up a lil, but only the vocab from the textbook and the note questions are found on my test. Now if you knew this, wouldn't you be able to study effectively and be able to score high on a test? Especially when the teacher goes through every question during the note time?

I really do try my best, I slim down the text of the book because we dont have all the time in the world to go line by line, they dont carry their textbooks back and forth, I never overload them with HW, the notes are very consise, I explain everything during class, and they get study questions to use as a guide during reading the book at home and studying for a test....tell me how I am being unfair?

Most of the kids see my reasoning, just hoping those who aren't trying so hard will try and make a better effort. I don't get these students in my classroom with nearly enough time, but I do the best I can.

Beyond the work, I was cleaning our home and found materials I had forgotten about so I have a lot grammar and english materials to bring to bear on them in the next coming weeks. Yay.