Wednesday, January 17, 2007

*waves*

While I had looked online for when the ELA was going to be, they did say it was coming this week. However since my Principals told me that they were giving it next week.

Now for those who don't routinely know what goes on in an Yeshiva, this does happen. The school does sometimes give tests late, gets permission, etc. So when I came in I got a shock. So the entire day was changed and me and the Science teacher split the day between the 7th and 8th Grades.

I am still, in my years of teaching, still in shock about the behavior of some students. Contrary to other ideas, there does come a time that you cannot control a child. Case in point

7th Grade: Decides to take a newpaper for middle school students that the school gets, rolls it up, puts it in his mouth, and goes around the room acting like 'Lucky the Dog'. His partner in crime who is using a tie to attack other students were thrown out and are going to be severely diciplined.

6th Grade: What do you do when you try to make fun of a teacher and not do your work? Condemned in front of the class, held late, and the card game you were playing in the middle of class confiscated.

Thank g-d I am reaching out to those boys who want to learn. Made me smile when the 7th grade began a discussion on the ramifications of France's double dealing with the US prior to the War of 1812 and that the 6th Grade were 'bad mouthing' their 5th grade teacher last year for her inability to teach them the proper English Grammar rules.

Days like this I remember why I want to continue to be a teacher, and why I wish to stay in the Yeshiva system. Though given the administration not sure how that'll last for next year.